Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

Can a employee get fired from a county job because new

Customer Question

Can a employee get fired from a county job because new managers don't like the way you are doing the job. And with no history or documentation of any disciplinary matters.
Submitted: 1 year ago via EmployeeIssues.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Good evening and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.
Unfortunately, employment in all states but Montana is "at will" absent an express agreement to the contrary. At will employment can be terminated for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination is fair, reasonable or even true, and it doesn't matter whether there is any advanced notice.
Regrettably, this means that termination based on the facts you have described would be legal. It is very unfair and highly unfortunate, but it just does not violate any law. Therefore, your only recourse would be to apply for unemployment benefits and begin looking for another job.
I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.
If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.