ratioscripta
ratioscripta,
7286322

I was employed as an independent contractor as the Executive

Customer Question

I was employed as an independent contractor as the Executive Director for a Chamber of Commerce. Last night at our monthly board meeting we had my review, two of the five board members rated me at a 3 level, 1 being worse and 5 being best. They used a matrix that I was given with job duties at the beginning of my employment - one year ago - for the first time in all 12 months. They advised that if I could not have completed all of the tasks, I should have notified them. After the meeting ending, the two board members asked me to stay and they advised me that they no longer needed my services. I advised them that they then owe me for 30 days, which I signed a contract when I was hired, and they now dispute that. I do not have a copy of the contract, but I can contact board members that actually hired me who know the terms of my employment. Do I have a leg to stand on given that I don't have a copy of the contract?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  ratioscripta replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts to opt out of participation in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
I am very sorry to hear about this situation.
1) Even though you do not have a copy of the contract, it is still binding. However, proving that it existed may be problematic if no one who has a copy is willing to provide one;
2) One is free to contact board members who have a copy and/or can confirm the terms.
3) Technically, if one can find a copy of the contract or feels that they could if they filed a suit and used legal discovery/subpoena to get a party to hand it over, one can sue for improper termination under the contract per the contract and demand the money for 30 days. Perhaps a letter from an attorney threatening this would do the trick.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.