Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I am a employee of the Redwood City District Child development

Customer Question

I am a employee of the Redwood City District Child development Center, I work ten months in a year. During mi time off from work the director plans certification class, and wants me to attend these classes. Is this legal for her to penalize the employees that are ten months that already have other commitment, to find a way to be certify with these classes?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
The law requires employers to pay employees for any time the employee spends in training that is primarily for the benefit of the employer, as this training would be. However, the law permits employers to require that employees attend whatever training the employer deems necessary, even if that training is during a period of time that the employee is not ordinarily expected to work. So, while you must be paid for this training, there is nothing illegal about your employer requiring it. Unless you are a permanent status employee, you can be disciplined or even fired for not attending.
I hope that this answers your question. Please let me know if I can provide any clarification.