LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
15277592

My wife which is an RN left her job and now the Hospital is

Customer Question

My wife which is an RN left her job and now the Hospital is coming after her for 20k for what I believe is a fraudulent contract
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.
I am very sorry to hear about these demands made against your wife. Why is the hospital coming after her for this money? What is the reason they claim she owes it? Also, why do you believe there is a fraudulent contract?
I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is a new Rn just out of school and received a job offer from the hospital which she excepted. They required her sign a 3 year contract with a penalty of 30k if she quit, went part time, or was fired. She worked 1 year and has been so unhappy for numerous reasons she gave notice and quit. The just mailed us a bill for 20k.Supposedly this 30k is for the training which she didn't receive and special certificates, pay raise, and it was basically a 6 wk job shadowing which most of which she worked while the other RN sat at the reception desk. After 11 months their they had her provide a new RN the same training.I believe its fraudulent as how do they assign value to this training ? She had no way of knowing what this training consisted of when contract was signed. It also states they could terminate you and you would still owe the fee. She was a W2 employee yet they required this contract. I don't see how this can be legal especially with considering the work environment
I'm afraid I must step away from my desk and I am unable to assist you with this. I will therefore opt out and allow another attorney to address your concerns. Please do not respond to this message as doing so will send your question back to me and take it off the active question queue. Someone else should be with you shortly. I apologize for any inconvenience.