Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I am a salaried employee in CA. My boss wants to dock me for

Customer Question

I am a salaried employee in CA. My boss wants to dock me for 3 days of work missed due to an emergency. I am also an exempt employee. 1st time off in 3 years. Is this legal?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.
Unfortunately, this sort of deduction is legal. The law specifically permits an employer to make a pro rata deduction from a salaried employee's pay for any full day of work the employee misses due to illness or for personal reasons. So, for example, if there are ten work days in the pay period and the employee misses 3 full work days, the employee can deduct 30% from the employee's salary. What the employer cannot do is deduct for a partially missed day, or deduct more than the pro rata amount of full days missed.
I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.
If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.