How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12038
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I started working company about 4 months ago. they

Customer Question

I started working for this company about 4 months ago. they told me to go direct deposit. When I gave them the account num. they punched in the wrong account . My paychecks are going into the wrong account now . I spoke with my supervisor and he said he would look into it. Well he didn't I'm stressed out by this , I went to the doctors and now I have anxiety issues. I don't have any insurance either. I can't pay the bills because of my money.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.
Your employer must pay you for your work. They are not excused from this obligation because they deposited your money in the wrong account.
Your best course of action would typically be to quit and file a wage claim. An individual in your circumstance should be eligible for unemployment benefits because you are quitting for reasons amounting to good cause. The wage claim process is free and will result in the imposition of an award for your back pay, plus likely penalties and interest. To file a wage claim with the DLSE, visit this link: For information on how to file a claim for unemployment benefits with the EDD, visit this link:
Alternatively, you can remain employed and still file a wage claim. However, if you do this, you risk continuing to work for free. Certain penalties are also only available once you have quit and your employer fails to pay your earned wages. You will have to decide which option is best for you.
I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.
If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Related California Employment Law Questions