TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I work all last year as a caregiver man. His daughters

Customer Question

I work all last year as a caregiver for a man. His daughters had a accountant give me a 1099 misc. I now am jobless because he died. I went to work from 8-8 four days a week all year long. I tried to file unemployment and it came back with 0 wage allowance. So can I do it or not?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions. If you were given a 1099, that means that you were not considered an employee. Instead, you were considered an independent contractor, which would make you ineligible for unemployment compensation.I am truly sorry that my answer may be bad news for you, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than an honest response. However, if your concerns were not satisfactorily addressed, then please let me know, and I will be happy to clarify my answer.