John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
71296933

If an employee is told they will receive a bonus, can it be

Customer Question

If an employee is told they will receive a bonus, can it be rescinded?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today.
Yes, unless the bonus was actually agreed to beforehand (i.e., if you reach x hours you get y bonus, then work occurs in exchange for that promise of bonus) it is not in consideration of the employment and is otherwise not wage; and not "owed" as a wage. Rather, a bonus in the truest sense is a gratuity and without contractual commitment, and more importantly no laws require a bonus be paid. Wheras as laws do require wage be paid.
I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is the scenario. We represent Community Associations. Associations commonly hire property management companies to manage the Association. In this instance, that is what the Association did. They hired a property management company to manage the Association. The contract between the property management company and the Association stated that the Association may give the assigned property manager a bonus if they desire to do so. The Association did tell the property manager she would receive an $8,000 bonus, but when a new Board was elected for the Association, the Association unhappy with the property manager rescinded the bonus. This occurred in California. Can the Association do this?
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Yes the Association can do this because the agreement states "may" give a bonus. Even though they verbally told the manager that they would give a bonus, that was a gratuity. A gratuity or gift is not complete until actually given, and is capable of rescission up until the time of conveyance.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.