Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I was just recently terminated from a job I had 25

Customer Question

I was just recently terminated from a job I had for over 25 years. The reason waas over our cell phone bill. I was placed in charge of payaing the biull,and the overall process. I never eanted this responsibility, it was not in my job descriptio, and I
had asked several times for help witih it whch I never got. The reason I was t3erminated, I believe, was theft. The cell phone carrier offered a deal to employees thtat was fr cheaper than if they went directly to the cell phone company themselves. The employees
wouod order a device, pay my company, hten fill out form to have the service billed directly to theem. After an internal audit was done, they felt that there were devices that had not beeb paid for, or if they were i kept the money, and that the company was
paying for some of the services for non employees because it was n ot transferred offf of the bill. Every item ordered was paid for by the employees, they could of aked them that but they did not. And I have email documents showing thaty I asked the cell phonecarrier
to folow up with the non employees who were still on our bill. Now all of these emails were ob my work email which they onfiscated, but i beleive they are still kept ob file for over a year, this all happened in December 2014 They also trtied to bring up some
expebse report items tha t they said looked like personl items, which I explained were not nd why, but I bever did find out wht was the final jjudggement on that. Wht rights do I have and wat can I do bext. I had to sit down with the companys cheif investigator,
and it was obvious from the start they considered me guilty, and it was a no win situation for me. Everything I explineed he came back at me with why he didnt belivee me. When I had to sid down with him I was caught off guuard, and did not realized what was
going on until half way through the conversation. Can you please direct me on what I can do next?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Are you part of a union contract or were you an at will employee?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I was part of management, Where I worked does have a union, but only the employees that were paid hourly were part of the CBA.Although I was an "at will employee" due to being a manager, each management position does have a job description, and he cell phone bill was not part of mine. During the course of being in charge of the cell phone bill, I had sent several emails to my boss alerting him to the fact that being the administrator of the cell phone bill was a large task, and there was no consistency with how the cell phones were managed. It was out of control, and very difficult to manage when the executive committee members, of which there were 9, would come to me individually and would want something but would not not their boss, the GM to be aware of it. I do have emails that I sent to my boss regarding this, but they were all on my work email and computer at work, which I no longer have access to anymore. I know the company does save them, but I don't know how I can now get access to them to plead my case.
Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, as an at will employee, your sole recourse would be to file for unemployment benefits. What you are describing is a termination without good cause and it is not likely the employer will prove that what you say happened is good cause for your termination. However, just because there is no good cause for your termination does not mean there is any case against the employer for anything other than unemployment.
The only time it would be a wrongful or improper termination is if you can prove that the only reason for your termination was your age/race/sex/disability/national origin. Absent one of those reasons being the only reason you were terminated, your only recourse is unemployment I am sorry to say.