LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
15277592

I am looking at starting my own alcohol delivery service

Customer Question

Hi! I am looking at starting my own alcohol delivery service in San Jose, CA but want to partner with local liquor stores so that I don't need to obtain a liquor license. Are there any other requirements I should be aware of?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Unless you are an employee of the stores that you deliver from, then you would be a seller of alcohol and would need a license to deliver the alcohol and collect money for the alcohol. You would in effect be a re-seller of alcohol, for which you would need an off-sale liquor license.
To avoid this very expensive license, you will need to become an employee of the liquor stores and actually be paid by them for your delivery services.
I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.
If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.
Kindly take a moment to rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided. Please understand that I have no control over the how the law impacts your particular situation.
Thank you,
Doug