LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
15277592

I need a detailed response/argument that I can use against

Customer Question

I need a detailed response/argument that I can use against my employer. I had exchanged bantering messages with a coworker (roughly about 500 messages in a period of a few years). The problem is that after several years of this banter, i called him as
a prank on his cell phone that was given to me by his coworker. The person that was pranked is now claiming we had no personal relationship and has made a complaint with our employer. He is claiming that we only had an informal work relationship. Is there
anything I can use that helps me argue that the pranks and banter over the years do create a personal relationship? Do all those messages automatically create some sort of personal relationship despite what he says now? (Also, a week prior to the phone call,
he was inquiring from my other colleague if I was single)
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
Is there an employment policy in place that says you cannot contact a co-worker on their cell phone unless you first have a personal relationship with that person?
What is the nature and substance of the bantering messages?
Were those by email?