John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
71296933

I have worked 4 overnight shifts (32hrs) in a single week when

Customer Question

I have worked 4 overnight shifts (32hrs) in a single week when those are not my regular shifts. And a regular 8hr shift. My employers payroll system is saying it qualifies me for 4 hrs of double overtime, however my employer is complaining about it and talking about taking that away from me. Is there a law that protects that?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today.
California law requires double the employee's regular rate of pay for all hours worked in excess of 12 hours in any workday and for all hours worked in excess of eight on the seventh consecutive day of work in a workweek. So it would be illegal of the employer to take it away from you. Or to somehow discriminate against you for the same. If they do either, then you could file a claim with the Cal Department of Industrial Relations.
I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers; otherwise the website just keeps your payment and doesn’t credit me at all. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing positive feedback; it is the only way I get credit for the knowledge I share. Thanks.