LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
15277592

We are a commission only hair salon and ask the stylists to

Customer Question

We are a commission only hair salon and ask the stylists to come in 1/2 hour before their first client to clean their station and prepare for their first client. in addition we ask that they help keep the salon presentable for the clients. Is this legal?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Asking a commission employee to come in before their scheduled appointment to make sure their work area is clean is legal so long as the income they earn pays at least minimum wage for the actual hours that they work in your Solon. You may also demand that they clean up as they go through the day, and before leaving after their shift, as well.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug