LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
15277592

Repayment of Relocation Expense H1B Employer. I was employed

Customer Question

Repayment of Relocation Expense H1B Employer. I was employed by company A, they paid for my relocation from my home country, provided me temporary housing for 1 month and rental car, they had me sign a repayment agreement, that stated that I have to repay
all the relocation cost if i quit before 2 years. I quit the company after 16 months they are now demanding the relocation money. is it legal for them to do so ? Thanks Abid
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
When you signed the agreement to either stay for the 24 months or to repay the relocation expenses you entered into an enforceable contract with them. So while they may legally ask you to reimburse them the relocation expenses, if you do not they can only sue you and seek a judgment.
Even if they get a judgment against you they will have a difficult time ever collecting all of the money from you because they can at most garnish 25% of your wages. And the case to sue you could take as long as a year, or more, to make its way through the courts---so there is also a good chance that if you do not pay them that they will not do anything---because of the cost involved in hiring a lawyer to sue for the money and the likelihood that they would never be able to collect all the money even if they get a judgment.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
This seems like a very serious situation for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might better suit your needs. If you are interested, I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. I will make that offer to you after I get this posted to your question thread. All you need do is accept the offer if you would like me to call.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug