Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

Do staff have to submit photos for use on a company website?

Do staff have to submit photos for use on a company website? I'm a contractor, does this make a difference? Company is in California. I'm British and not familiar with US law. It is a record company - groups are not going to sign deals based on staff photos and I work in royalties. I'm not photogenic, am older than most staff but the issue is more on principle than my ego.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

My name isXXXXX am a licensed attorney, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Unfortunately, as you may suspect, employment protections differ dramatically between western Europe and the United States. And, since you're an independent contractor rather than an employee, they are virtually non-existent.

That said, no one can force you to submit photos of yourself against your will unless there is a provision in your contract that states that you are required to do so.

However, your independent contractor agreement could, theoretically, be terminated by the company if you refuse to provide them with a photo.

That is an extremely unlikely situation, but it is possible, as long as your contract doesn't have a provision stating that the agreement could only be terminated 'for cause.' In that case, failing to provide a company with a photo for a website is almost certainly not going to be considered a sufficient cause to terminate your contractor agreement.

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying or follow up questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, PLEASE remember to rate my answer POSITIVELY (Excellent Service) so I get credit for my work. I put significant time and effort into my answers, and DON’T receive anything for my work unless you rate my answer positively. It doesn’t cost you anything extra and is necessary even though you’ve made a deposit. Please also rate me highly (10) when you receive your customer satisfaction survey as well.

Thanks and best of luck!

-Joseph

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanx - I'll probably wait and see how persistent they are. I've been doing their royalties for 7 years and it is a skills shortage area, so I doubt they will fire me over it but it is probably easier to just swallow my principles and do the photo. Yes, employment rights are much better in the UK.

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Thank you; happy to help and best of luck!

I do very much doubt that they will terminate your contract for not giving them a photo. I think the worse you're likely to experience would be persistent hounding to provide them with one.
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management