Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

Is it best to dismiss an at will employee by closing down the

Is it best to dismiss an at will employee by closing down the unit s/he works in. Or simply to give notice? If notice, what should the notice contain? Thank you
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

My name isXXXXX am a licensed attorney, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Actually, you can terminate an at-will employee at any time for any reason with or without any prior notice.

You can basically walk up to them and say you're terminated and that's it. They can never sue you for wrongful termination (unless you were actually terminating them due to race discrimination).

This is due to the employment at-will doctrine, which is codified in California Labor Code Section 2922, and states:

"An employment, having no specified term, may be terminated at
the will of either party on notice to the other. Employment for a
specified term means an employment for a period greater than one

If you choose to give notice, simplicity is best, XXXXX XXXXX can just state that their employment will be determined as of [a particular date].

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying or follow up questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, PLEASE remember to rate my answer POSITIVELY (Excellent Service) so I get credit for my work. I put significant time and effort into my answers, and DON’T receive anything for my work unless you rate my answer positively. It doesn’t cost you anything extra and is necessary even though you’ve made a deposit. Please also rate me highly (10) when you receive your customer satisfaction survey as well.

Thanks and best of luck!

Hello Joe,

Thank you for your positive rating of my service! It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should you have future legal questions.

Please request me directly by placing “to Joseph” at the beginning of your question or you can ask a question directly to me through my URL here:

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and best of luck,