Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

I am a non union, non exempt employee at a California medical

I am a non union, non exempt employee at a California medical center. Parking for patients at the medical center has become a challenge and management is now directing that we "are to use the shuttle M-F". The shuttle parking is located at a different site about 1-2 miles from my work site. Since the employer is mandating that I use the shuttle and not drive my car (although union employees are allowed to drive and park in the parking structure) do they need to compensate me for time spent on the shuttle?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

My name isXXXXX am a licensed attorney, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, since you are being required to ride the shuttle to and from work (to and from the parking area) your employer must compensate you for that time (as you are under the control of the employer).

See here:

http://articles.latimes.com/2000/mar/28/news/mn-13521

If your employer fails to do so, you can and should file a wage claim, which you can do using the information available online here:

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/howtofilewageclaim.htm

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying or follow up questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, PLEASE remember to rate my answer POSITIVELY (Excellent Service) so I get credit for my work. I put significant time and effort into my answers, and DON’T receive anything for my work unless you rate my answer positively. It doesn’t cost you anything extra and is necessary even though you’ve made a deposit. Please also rate me highly (10) when you receive your customer satisfaction survey as well.

Thanks and best of luck!

-Joseph