Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

I have been on leave from work for 6-7 mths due to a severe

I have been on leave from work for 6-7 mths due to a severe depression and suicidal ideations, PTSD and bi polar d/o . I have been receiving state disability as I am an RN for 6mth. I have not been reading the mail or anything, I have not been thinking clearly, as I am getting better and starting to pay attention to the world again , I realized that I have an ebay acct. in my name, my boyfriend runs it and is making good money, This was not reported to disability as my income but is in my name. I don't know what to do , I am afraid to tell them now because I don't have any money to pay them back and am afraid they will take my nursing license. What should I do. I hope to be able to return to work by the end of this mth , and could make payments maybe to repay them, I have received about $18000.00 in disability payments. I am still having some difficulties with memory and staying on task. Please can anyone give me any advice.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

My name isXXXXX am a licensed attorney, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Have you been receiving payments from the ebay account through paypal that have been going into your personal checking (or savings) account?

How much money has he made through the ebay account, and is through buying and selling things for a profit or just selling your and his possessions?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

it goes into my acct which he is using, as he is unable to get his own acct. the money is then used to pay bills in his mothers name He sells and buys to sell, sells both personal items and purchased items, shows a profit of appx. 6800.00 total sells appx. 35000.00 cost and fees is the difference

Expert:  Joseph replied 8 months ago.
Hello Wanda,

Technically, the amounts that he is getting from your ebay account, even though deposited into your account do not constitute income that you are receiving, as you are not earning it, but he is. You are then not under any obligation to report this income.

This is especially true if the money that is earned goes to pay his or his mother's bills and you are supported through the SDI payments that you receive and your savings.

That said, it would probably be best to have his name added to your account(s) if possible in case you come under investigation for some reason.

And, if you are able to return to work, I would suggest that you contact them to try to explain the situation as that would prevent them from thinking that you were hiding someone if they discover the amounts going into your bank account.

You can contact EDD through their website then, but I'd only suggest doing so after you are sure you are able to return to work (to prevent them from canceling or delaying your benefits).

The site is below:

https://askedd.edd.ca.gov/asp/frmEDDCOMM.aspx

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying or follow up questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, PLEASE remember to rate my answer POSITIVELY (Excellent Service) so I get credit for my work. I put significant time and effort into my answers, and DON’T receive anything for my work unless you rate my answer positively. It doesn’t cost you anything extra and is necessary even though you’ve made a deposit. Please also rate me highly (10) when you receive your customer satisfaction survey as well.

Thanks and best of luck!

-Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management