How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PaulmoJD Your Own Question
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 116143
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
PaulmoJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A person I know has been working for a trucking company in

This answer was rated:

A person I know has been working for a trucking company in AZ for the last 1 1/2 years. This past September he had a medical emergency on the job. For the year ending in "2012" he did not received a W-2 or a 1099 (he has never received anything regarding taxes). He just found out this week that apparently he is a W-9, which makes him an indepentant contractor/driver. He does not own a truck, he uses their truck (he does not lease it) and when it breaks down the company pays for it. The company tells him where he needs to go to pick-up a delivery and where it needs to go and how quickly it needs to be there by. He cannot turn down a job. He does what he is told.
What kind of legal action can he take if any? He is not an indepentant contractor/driver, he is a company driver.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

This seems to be that he is misclassified as an independent contractor and as such the US Department of Labor has to get involved and conduct an investigation into the matter and make the official determination. If the US DOL makes the determination, based on your description they should, that he was an employee, the employer will be fined and they will have to pay your friend any hours and overtime hours if applicable that they have failed to pay him and could owe him up to three times the amount due plus his attorney's fees if he ends up needing an attorney.

Your friend needs to make a complaint to the US Department of Labor Wage and Hour Division and they will take the investigation from there and will advise him if they will seek his compensation or if he needs to go to court.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
PaulmoJD and 2 other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related California Employment Law Questions