Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

I have been told that I will not be offered a new contract

I have been told that I will not be offered a new contract when the current one expires and I ahve been told there is not a place for me in the new TV channel set up. Am I entitled to severance pay even though I have been on contract for the past 16 years?
Thank you
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 9 months ago.

My name isXXXXX am a licensed attorney, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Does your contract or any other agreement you have with your employer state that you will receive a severance package in the event that your contract is not renewed?
Expert:  Joseph replied 9 months ago.
Unfortunately, there is nothing in the law that requires to give an employee any severance regardless of the length of service with a company.

So, unless, you had a contractual agreement that stated that you would receive severance, I'm afraid that you wouldn't have a cause of action against your employer for not giving you severance when deciding not to renew your contract.

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying or follow up questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service. Please contact me first if you are contemplating leaving me a negative rating, as I’ll be happy to continue to address your concerns until you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work. (It doesn’t cost you anything extra and is necessary even though you’ve made a deposit). Please also rate me highly (9-10) when you receive your customer satisfaction survey as well.

Thanks and best of luck!

-Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management