Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

What does labor code 234 relate to? How do I look it up?

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do everything I can to answer your question.

You won't find Labor Code 234 on the Department of Labor website because the Dpepartment of Labor is a federal agency charged with administering federal laws and Labor Code 234 is part of the California Labor Code--a state law.

Labor Code 234 states as follows:

"An employer absence control policy that counts sick leave taken pursuant to Section 233 as an absence that may lead to or result in discipline, discharge, demotion, or suspension is a per se violation of Section 233. An employee working under this policy is entitled to appropriate legal and equitable relief pursuant to Section 233."

Essentially, what it means is that if an employer offers accrued sick leave, it cannot implement a policy by which employees are automatically disciplined by taking a certain number of sick days or more. Any such discipline constitutes a violation of Labor Code 233 (the section which regulates how sick leave programs must be administered) and will give rise to a claim for damages.

For example, if an employer provides 10 accrued sick days per year, the employer cannot enact a policy that reduces the hourly pay of any employee who misses more than ten days for health reasons. This is what Labor Code 234 seeks to prohibit.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes and kindest regards.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you!

You are very welcome--it was truly my pleasure to assist you. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. I'm more than happy to provide clarification if necessary.

If I have fully answered your question, I would be most grateful for a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you.

Have a wonderful rest of your evening.