Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I just recently completed one year of short disability in CA.

I just recently completed one year of short disability in CA. I had filed an unemployment claim first but then was declined because of my disability. They said to re contact the state to re file after I recovered from my disability.

I have 2 questions, how long do I have to re file after my recovery and what happens if I decide to move to a new state?

I've worked in California for over 12 years. I was previously approved for $14,000 when I first submitted my unemployment claim and before I was qualified for disability.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Moving to a new state will have no bearing on an unemployment claim. What may potentially is when you file. The reason is because benefits are computed on the basis of your "base period" wages. The base period is defined as the 4 calendar quarters preceding the date the claim is filed (see here for more information: http://www.edd.ca.gov/disability/Base_Period.htm) If too much time passes before you file, the 4 preceding calendar quarters may no longer be quarters in which you earned any wages, and thus there may not be any base period wages to support a claim.

Accordingly, it is important to immediately file for unemployment if you desire you receive any benefits. See here to get started: http://www.edd.ca.gov/unemployment/filing_a_claim.htm

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes and kindest regards.