Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

I am a middle level manager. Our company just fired an employee

I am a middle level manager. Our company just fired an employee from my department. My supervisor thinks I have talked to this person since she has left. I have not, but have been accused of doing so in 3 instances. Can my employer keep me from talking to a former employee.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Your employer cannot "prevent" you from talking to a former employee. However, unless you have a contract which guarantees your employment for a specified term, you are an "at will" employee and as such can be fired at any time for virtually any non-discriminatory reason. Thus, while your employer cannot stop you fromtalking to someone, your employer can likely condition your continued employment on your not talking to a former employee, or discipline you for refusing to comply with this request.

I realize that the law is not entirely in your favor here and I am truly sorry to have to deliver bad news. Nonetheless, I trust that you will appreciate an accurate explanation of the law and realize that it would be unprofessional of me and unfair to you to provide you with anything less.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes and kindest regards.