Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

I am a public school nutrition director trying to do good things

Customer Question

I am a public school nutrition director trying to do good things for students by making changes to healthier foods with farm to school produce and other things. Some disgruntled food service workers went to a school board and on videotape accused me of
2.using a personal friend as a vendor and getting kickbacks.

All of which are entirely untrue.
Thought this blew over and then they went to a second board meeting and said similar thing
then called local newspaper and the local newspaper printed a story making me look guilty of incompetency then a radio station propogated this story
My job is in jeapardy now b/vc school board doesnt want bad press.
the new reporter(small town area, just out of college reporter) started digging up things like traffic tickets about me and who knows what else and reporting these now in the newspaper. How do I defend myself?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome.

My name is Tina and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am very sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Can you prove that the statements being made by the workers are false?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Tina replied 3 years ago.
I see. Thank you for clarifying that for me, Mary.

This sounds like a clear cut case of defamation, an intentional tort, which could be brought against the workers making the false statements about you.

In many cases similar to this, a demand letter from a local attorney can stop them from continuing to engage in this conduct and even motivate them to retract their false and slanderous statements if they wish to avoid a lawsuit. So I would retain a local attorney quickly to do just that. I would look for a local employment law attorney who has experience pursuing tort claims such as this if possible. A civil litigation attorney would also be good at handling this type of situation normally, but it would be best if they had some employment law background as well since this is occurring in the employment context.

Here is a link to a site which sets out the elements of defamation under CA law for your reference:

The state bar association can provide you with attorney referrals. They can be found at

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate my service when I have answered your questions so I will be compensated for my time assisting you. Thank you!

Expert:  Tina replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Mary,
I wanted to thank you for using JustAnswer, and to inquire whether my answer was helpful in clarifying your understanding of the law even though it may not have resulted in the outcome you were hoping it would.

I also wanted to make sure that you did not have any further follow-up questions for me with regard to the legal question I answered for you. If not, kindly provide a positive rating so I will be compensated for my time assisting you.
If you do not require further legal information at this time, please feel free to bookmark my profile so you can request me when you do have another question. Here is a link to my profile:
Thank you very much and all the best to you.