How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 1231
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Asked to pay back retirement contribution-

Customer Question

I was an exchange teacher with a J-1 visa last June 2001. Complying all the requirements to get a working (H-1 visa) and with the support of the under performing school district in East Palo Alto, CA , I got my green card and work until now in the same district. Most of us foreign workers were not deducted a contribution for the STRS since 2001, school retirement system. Until last year, the San Mateo County according to the district found out that we were not deducted for STRS. The county deducted the STRS school contribution as well as the employees' contribution, which is high amount. We complained to CTA and as a group, we decided not to pay it back. The district wants us to pay back like for me $56,000. Other foreign workers wanted to keep silent because they are being sponsored for their visa. I already have a green card and is planning to file citizenship. Wat will I do?

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Fran, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, I was out for a while.

What information do you still need?


Expert:  Fran-mod replied 2 years ago.
We need no information from you at this time.

Thank you. We will continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think, I need to tell you that last year, I filed a discrimination complaint to DFEH and EEOC, but I have not forwarded enough basis to proceed, since, I was on FMLA to take care of my 93-year old sick mother for 6 months. The previous principal (which I think pressured by the HR to give hard time to most tenured teachers) gave me bad evaluations which i did not sign, discriminated, singled me out, harassed me. That principal is out of office because parents went on strike. I also spoke to the previous superintendent and when HR saw me, he yelled at me saying, "Why did I talk to his Boss!"


The new principal is doing the same thing. (Of course HR is retaliating on me). I handle 7 classes of 40-min period whereas, my co-6th grade classes handles only 3 classes with 80-min class. Based on seniority I should be given choices first and if there is some concerns, the principal should take care of it. There's a problem on classroom management in the 8th grade classes and not in the 6th grade classes. She has no support. Instead, she used the situation for writing bad comments.


My concerns are never answered even the Union officials, so I decided to cc my email to the superintendent. I saw the superintendent went to see her, but that very day she made and sent a certified letter with a return address from HR accusing me of insubordination and unprofessional conduct. The letter signed by the principal to answer it/rebuttal within 10 days.


I am drafting my EEOC complain. I am preparing myself, just in case they will terminate me, can they still ask me to repay the STRS?

Can they terminate me? How can I be protected while waiting for the EEOC's response? Should I leave? Can I file for a stress leave? I saw my psychologist last week, and I will have a phone appointment again at 5PM today?

There are a lot of teachers that do not like the HR. They will be happy if Lovelace,HR will go. Rumors last year, he will retire this December. I found out, he will not. We have a new superintendent and I hope she will bring her own HR. Should I file a FMLA again to take care of my mother? Can I do other work to earn for a living?


Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,

We are still working with our Legal professionals to find you the best possible match. I wanted to touch base to see if you still needed a professional’s assistance.

Please let me know if you would like to continue to wait or if you would like to cancel your question at this time. We sincerely apologize for the extended wait time.

Thank you,

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • LawTalk



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
< Last | Next >
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
  • Brandon, Esq.'s Avatar

    Brandon, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Has received a certificate of recognition from the California State Senate for his outstanding legal service.
  • melissamesq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Represent clients to maximum recovery in employment cases.
  • /img/opt/shirt.png Attorney2020's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have significant experience in employment law.
  • /img/opt/shirt.png Legal Counsel's Avatar

    Legal Counsel


    Satisfied Customers:

    California Licensed Attorney- 29 years- Wages, Hours, Overtime, Discrimination, Wrongful Termination.

Related California Employment Law Questions