Brandon, Esq.
Brandon, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Has received a certificate of recognition from the California State Senate for his outstanding legal service.
69271599

If my employer receives mail addressed to me at my place of

If my employer receives mail addressed to me at my place of work and opens the mail is this illegal? also is it illegal for an employer to take money for ones check without a court order to do so in a divorce case?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Brandon, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Brandon, Esq. :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today. My goal is to provide you with excellent service. Are you online with me today?

Brandon, Esq. :

Welcome to the chat

Brandon, Esq. :

Did you give them authorization to open your mail?

Customer:

hi my name isXXXXX

Brandon, Esq. :

Hi Gerald

Brandon, Esq. :

It is illegal to open another persons mail. However, that illegality can be waived if you gave them express authorization to do so

Customer:

I didnt give them this

Customer:

the letter was address was address with my name

Brandon, Esq. :

18 USC Section 1702 makes it illegal for a person to open another persons mail when that mail is addressed to someone else.

Customer:

ok

Brandon, Esq. :

As for taking the money out of your check, that is also illegal.

Brandon, Esq. :

There needs to be a judgment against you

Brandon, Esq. :

If there is no judgment then you can make a claim with the DLSE

Customer:

what is DLSE

Brandon, Esq. :

You will claim unpaid wages and be entitled to all money being taken out as well as a waiting time penalty

Brandon, Esq. :

It is the department of labor standards enforcement

Customer:

ok

Brandon, Esq. :

You would file a claim here:

Customer:

but what if they fix it within the same day as the error was made

Customer:

is there a need to report it

Brandon, Esq. :

They have until the next pay period to fix whatever unpaid amounts exist unless you are terminated in which case they must pay you immediately.

Brandon, Esq. :

So if they fix it within the same day then there would be no cause of action there

Customer:

alright that is what i thought

Brandon, Esq. :

Does that fully answer your question today?

Customer:

yes

Brandon, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Has received a certificate of recognition from the California State Senate for his outstanding legal service.