Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

I am a pastor and am wondering if the salary law of being paid

Customer Question

I am a pastor and am wondering if the salary law of being paid at least twice the amount of minimum wage applies to me? Is that law based upon the number that is on the income portion of my w2?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 3 years ago.

My name is Joseph. I am a licensed attorney, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, in order to be an exempt (salaried) employee, you must be paid at least twice minimum wage (average of $16 an hour), or $640 on average per week, or $2560 per month and $33,280 a year.

That would be your 'gross income' prior to taxes. That would be number 1 on your W2.

If you are not receiving that much, you are being misclassified as a salaried exempt employee and should be paid hourly, including overtime, and mandated time for meal and rest breaks.

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying or follow up questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service. Please contact me first if you are contemplating leaving me a negative rating, as I’ll be happy to continue to address your concerns until you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work. (It doesn’t cost you anything extra and is necessary even though you’ve made a deposit). Please also rate me highly (9-10) when you receive your customer satisfaction survey as well.

Thanks and best of luck!

-Joseph

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. I receive a compensation package which consists of a base salary plus a parsonage. With that in mind, is it still the number on the w2 that matters?

Expert:  Joseph replied 3 years ago.
Hello Joel,

The value of the parsonage would be included in determining what your salary is. So it would be the entire compensation package together. Base salary plus parsonage.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

fair rental value of the parsonage?

Expert:  Joseph replied 3 years ago.
Yes, the fair rental value of the parsonage.