Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

i own carwash in los angeles and i was audited by federal labor

i own carwash in los angeles and i was audited by federal labor department in june, 13. they claim i have violated wait period violation and ordered to pay backwage and liquidated damage in outrageous amount. i was able to discount it 1/3 of it but it still was very unfair amount. under pressure of paying original amount or discounted amount, i had to sign the settlement agreement even without seeing any computation which they suppose to show you. i signed it on 9/20 but i was able to find really professional labor law expert(used to work for labor department and knows everyone there and so on.) yesterday and he is asking $5000 just for trying to reopen the case which he says he has about 65% chance. he know the supervisor very well and it seem they try to work with each other. if he cannot reopen the case and case is close for good, then what happens if i can't pay settlement amount on time?

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do everything I can to answer your question.

If you signed a settlement agreement and it cannot be re-opened or rescinded, then your refusal to honor the terms of settlement will likely result in the filing of a lawsuit for breach of contract against you. Damages will be in the amount you agreed to pay.

Unless you contest the authenticity of the settlement document or can argue that you were under "duress" (highly unlikely), a court judgment will be entered against you. A court judgment will enable the DOL to seize certain liquid assets of your business to satisfy the judgment. They will also be able to levy certain non-liquid assets. Meanwhile, interest on the judgment will begin accruing at the rate of 10% (as imposed by law). Obviously, this is a situation you would want to avoid if at all possible.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes and kindest regards.

I just wanted to followup to see if you had any questions concerning the above. Please let me know and, if necessary, I will be more than happy to assist you further.

Have a pleasant rest of your day.