The e-mails that were sent to me by two VP's of the company said, "Tony, this email is to confirm that (company) will buy out your current obligation to (previous company). The offer below still stands as written". The second email from the VP/Chief of staff reads "May I please have the details of this? (Our Company) will buy out your current obligation to (Current Company).
I do not have anything signed because we are a virtual company, One VP lives in Atlanta, the VP that lives in Houston has auto-signed her e-mails.
Correct, no amount was ever written in the e-mails. The "below offer" refers to salary, stocks, vacation, care, internet, phone allowance, and 401K. That was a separate e-mail. I asked the VP to send me an e-mail that confirms that they would buy out my current contract and he daisy chained from the original offer e-mail
FYI, I'm not sure if you need to know but I have been working for current employer since Sept 23rd and have received a paycheck. Additionally, I completed I-9 verification and W-4 paperwork as a condition to employment.
How long do you think it will take to here back from you? If it is going to be a while I have some other work I need to take care of...Thanks
I relocated with former employer (x) from Florida to Ca. The former employer agreed to cover my moving expenses in return for a 2 year commitment. The commitment buyout decreases 1/24th for every month that I was with the company. I was with company X for 12 months therefore I new that the buyout would be 50% of the total however I did not have an exact number to give to company (y) because company (x) would provide it upon termination. Therefor the only documentation that I could provide was an Itemization from company (x) for 2012 tax purposes (68K). I also told current employer (in e-mail) that this was not the final number and that would be provided by company (x) upon termination. All expenses for the move had not been added into the 2012 document therefore their was an increase that added an additional 12K in to the final buyout amount.
I agree that a compromise is the best option however I'm afraid they may ask for more than what I am willing to give. If this turns into a lawsuit a I feel that I would be terminated because employment is "at-will". Is it feasible to ask for them to cover attorney's fees in the suite? In addition, to the 47K what monetary amount is realistic (salary, undue stress, and so forth). I have never sued anyone and I do not know what is realistic. I would prefer not to file a suite but I also want to know all my options so I can make an informed decision. Also would I potentially spend more suing than what I would gain from a judgment?
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on JustAnswer are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. JustAnswer is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains.
The responses above are from individual Experts, not JustAnswer. The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credential of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service (last updated February 8, 2012).