Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I am being sued by an employee I terminated 2 plus years ago.

I am being sued by an employee I terminated 2 plus years ago. I have spoken to several labor attorneys in Oregon but I do not feel comfortable with the huge fees they charge. A local attorney is helping me with arranging mediation. The plaintiff and his are very aggressive and want everything I have even though the accusations are false. My insurance does not cover employee practices. I need someone to help me sort this out.

Thanks,
JuJU
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon and thank you so much for requesting me to assist you.

Here on Just Answer we can answer specific questions about the law but we cannot engage in "legal advice," and so I cannot general guidance concerning your situation. If you have any specific legal questions, though, it would be my sincere pleasure to help you.

Please be so kind as to tell me what you would like to know.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Can You refer me to a defense labor attorney in Oregon?

Thanks,

JuJu

Juju,

Thank you very much for your reply. Here on Just Answer the terms of service prohibit us from making referrals to specific attorneys. However, I can point you in the direction of a couple rreputable sources for attorney referrals through which I am confident you can find someone able to help you.

First is the Oregon State Bar Attorney Referral Service: http://www.osbar.org/public/ris/

The second is Martin Dale: http://www.martindale.com/labor-employment/s-Oregon-lawyers-cities.htm The people at Martin Dale have also developed a rating system for attorneys that is helpful to determine who the highest quality practitioners are in a given field or geographic area. You can read about their rating system here: http://www.martindale.com/Products_and_Services/Peer_Review_Ratings.aspx

Many attorneys do not self-identify as "defense" specialists, so you will want to call around and ask if the firm does defense work. It shouldn't take many calls at all to find an attorney who does.

If I can be of any further assistance you whatsoever, please do not hestiate to ask.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

Juju,

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do. Also, when you have a moment, I would sincerely XXXXX XXXXX moment of your time to provide a rating on my answer, but only if you think I've earned it. If you have any other questions or comments, please let me know.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I did submit Your rating. I do have another question. My interim Attorney just resigned because he has no experience in labor law. I still am looking for a defense attorney. Should I retain a attorney if the case is being mediated as opposed to being litigated?

Thanks,

JuJu

Juju,

Thank you for your rating. It is my sincere pleasure to assist you further.

To answer your followup question, "yes" it would be very wise to retain an attorney for the mediation. Simply because the matter is not being litigated in court does not diminish the value of having an attorney represent your interests. They will be able to evaluate the law and your case, articulate your legal arguments, and engage in a skillful negotiation of your claim to allow for the most favorable possible resolution.

Also, having an attorney at a mediation sends the message that you are serious about defending the claims. A plaintiff suing an unrepresented employer is a bit like a a shark sensing blood in the water--they will sense weakness, thinking that you don't plan to fight the claim or can't afford the attorney fees, and then they will push even harder.

For these reasons, it would certainly be worth your effort to hire someone for the mediation.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer