socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

New Question. When I let this employee go there will be an

New Question. When I let this employee go there will be an obvious hole in our staff. So we are holding an emergency staff meeting that same afternoon. What do I tell my staff? What documentation, if any, can I give the employee I'm terminating as to the reason why? And what do I do when she calls me at home or shows up on my doorstep? She needs to go, but I feel for her and want to give her closure if I can. But I will adhere to your recommendations......
What do I tell my staff?

A: "Ms [name] is no longer employed here. Please refer any contacts by her directly to me. You can be friendly, but other than that, she is entitled to no special treatment different than any other client of our clinic."

What documentation, if any, can I give the employee I'm terminating as to the reason why?

A: I'm uncertain why you are asking this question of me today. I thoroughly covered the issue in our last Q&A session.

And what do I do when she calls me at home or shows up on my doorstep?

A: Tell the person that she is trespassing, and that unless she leaves your property immediately, you will call 911 and report a criminal trespass.

She needs to go, but I feel for her and want to give her closure if I can. But I will adhere to your recommendations.

A: You cannot give her closure without placing yourself at either economic or personal/physical risk. Terminated employees can become extremely dangerous.

I gave you the alternative, which is to use the 90-day eval system, so that the employee will know that she is either succeeding or failing, and it won't come as a surprise if she is terminated. But, if you're going to play hardball, then you need to be able to swing the bat and throw the 95 mph pitches. Otherwise, you're going to lose the game.

Pardon my metaphors -- I'm watching the MLB Playoffs.

Hope this helps.