LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.

My supervisor schedules our team a monthly weekend coverage

My supervisor schedules our team a monthly weekend coverage schedule as part of overtime. Many times he cancels the shift the day before or sometimes hours before. Can he do this? Is there any law or regulations in CA? Thank you.

Good afternoon John,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Under CA law, so long as the shift you are scheduled for is cancelled before you actually arrive at the workplace and you are given notice of that fact; the employer is under no obligation to pay you for the missed shift. And, I’m sorry, but there is no way to prevent this type of scheduling behavior either---at lease from the legal perspective.

If you do appear at work and are sent home, then under CA law, you are entitled to be paid a minimum of half the hours you were scheduled for, with a minimum of two hours and a maximum of four.

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

I wish you the best in your future.

Thank you for your positive rating of my service, John. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise. I am generally available at least 6 days a week, and often 7, and it would be my privilege to assist you again in the future.

I welcome you to request my assistance in any future legal questions you may have, by simply placing my name in the first sentence of your new question.

Thanks again.

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It would be tremendously appreciated.