Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

Can you elaborate on this: "You are generally permitted to

Can you elaborate on this:
"You are generally permitted to pay employees commission only in CA as long as the commissions are equal to or greater than state minimum wage for actual hours worked."
I have a friend who's working in a furniture store but is not being offered a salary, it's commissino only. Trouble is there are no customers, and almost no sales for 5 days now. Is she intitiled to some compensation from the store for putting in those hours, (approx. 30 hrs)?

Hello and welcome.

I am sorry to hear of your friend's difficult situation.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am working on your answer now and will post it here shortly. Thank you for your patience while I prepare your answer.

Hello, Joe, and thank you for requesting me.

Yes, your friend would be entitled to at least minimum wage for the 30 hours worked for the employer in which no commissions were earned. Where an employee receives only commissions and no commissions are earned, the employer is required to pay the employee at least minimum wage for the hours worked typically and the employee can file a wage claim with the state labor board if the employer refuses to comply.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate my service when I have answered your questions so I will be compensated for my time assisting you. Thank you!

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.