Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

I have returned to work. How do I cancel my disability checks

Customer Question

I have returned to work. How do I cancel my disability checks that I am still receiving?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Are these social security disability benefits you are receiving, SDI from the state, or private disability benefits through your employer?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, SDI from the state.

Expert:  Tina replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

To stop SDI payments from continuing to be made by the state, you would typically contact your local EDD office and report to them that you have returned to work and the date you returned to work.

If you receive additional checks, do not cash them as the state will typically request that the payments be returned to them.

Here is a link to locate your local EDD office by zip code:

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate my service when I have answered your questions so I will be compensated for my time assisting you. Thank you!