How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My spouse suffers from a degenerative organic disability that

This answer was rated:

My spouse suffers from a degenerative organic disability that increasingly impairs cognitive functioning. He is unable to negotiate the disability benefits application. His employer's HR is giving him conflicting information, and he is in danger of making errors that would have long-term consequences. He is too disabled to apply for his disability benefits, and I believe that is being exploited. What could someone in his situation do?

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I need a bit more information from you before I can proceed to provide you with a complete and thorough answer to your question.

Have you filed for power of attorney for your husband?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have not filed for power of attorney. The rapidity of the degeneration is not atypical for his disorder, but it has been difficult, until recently, to assess his mental status. I have heard of surrogate decision making. Would durable power of medical attorney apply to this task?

Hello Gina,

You will need to have him sign a power of attorney form designating you power of attorney, so you can negotiate disability benefits and obtain them on his behalf, in order to prevent him from being exploited in the process.

A good general durable power of attorney form is available online here:

A power of attorney gives you the same rights to make decisions for your husband that he would have on his own, including negotiating and making decisions regarding his disability insurance benefits.

You can take it to a notary and have it notarized after filling it out and it will be immediately effective so you can represent your husband's interests in all disability insurance matters going forward.

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying or follow up questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service. Please contact me first if you are contemplating leaving me a negative rating, as I’ll be happy to continue to address your concerns until you are satisfied with my service.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work. Please also rate me highly (9-10) when you receive your customer satisfaction survey as well.

Thanks and best of luck!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear XXXXXph,


I do have one followup question, thank you. I am now the sole caretaker of our severely developmentally disabled teenage child, and I work full time. I am not sure that I am able to effectively take on the additional task of advocating for my spouse, who is separating from my own employer-we both are faculty at the University of California. Is there any service that might be available to my spouse to gain his benefits because he is disabled? I am unable to determine whether he has any rights to patient advocacy based upon cognitive impairment. Would it be helpful to hire a disability lawyer, even if it is in regard to disability benefits specific to this employer?

Hello Gina,

Yes, there is a group called Disability Rights California that would help provide assistance to your husband in gaining these benefits, since they advocate on behalf of disabled individuals state wide.

However, I would still recommend that you get the power of attorney completed, as you will definitely still need it, if you are the one that would be signing off on the disability benefits approval, even if you are able to get Disability Rights California to do the negotiating and advocating on your husband's behalf.

Here is a link to the group, including their contact information:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for your help, Joseph. I amended my question at the last minute to ask if consulting a disability lawyer might be warranted. If you could give me feedback on that question, I believe I have the information that I need. Your advice has been extremely useful, and I will be reflecting that in your rating.

Hello Gina,

Happy to help.

Yes, I would suggest that speaking to a local disability lawyer could definitely be helpful. However, I'd avoid hiring on unless necessary. Many disability attorneys are of the social security variety and get paid on commission based on successful claims (including claims that could have easily just been brought by the individual him or herself), sometimes preying off the disabled instead of assisting them. This is the exception to the rule, but it is worthwhile to keep on a lockout for this.

Joseph, Lawyer
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management
Joseph and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • LawTalk



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
< Last | Next >
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
  • Brandon, Esq.'s Avatar

    Brandon, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Has received a certificate of recognition from the California State Senate for his outstanding legal service.
  • melissamesq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Represent clients to maximum recovery in employment cases.
  • /img/opt/shirt.png Attorney2020's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have significant experience in employment law.
  • /img/opt/shirt.png Legal Counsel's Avatar

    Legal Counsel


    Satisfied Customers:

    California Licensed Attorney- 29 years- Wages, Hours, Overtime, Discrimination, Wrongful Termination.

Related California Employment Law Questions