Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 16 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

I worked for a cable tv company and was the only one who drove

Customer Question

I worked for a cable tv company and was the only one who drove a company mini van, the fuel was paid by the company, I was given a gas card and was told I could only fill up the van 6 times for each month. The problem was that everyone else drove a full size truck that held twice as much gas as this mini van. I ran out of gas after the third week and was told I had to pay for the rest of the month each time it happened. I had just started working there and told my boss I didn't have the money to pay for it, He said everyone only gets 6 fill ups and it don't matter what size tank I have and that I could start looking for another job if I cant. I didn't make enough money too pay for it and was soon fired
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am very sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

What is your legal question for me please?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

can I take legal action

Expert:  Tina replied 9 months ago.
Hello again, David.

There are a couple of issues which are presented here. First, an employer is required by state law to reimburse an employee for any expenses which the employee incurs on the employer's behalf so it appears the employer's policy of requiring employees to pay for fuel is unlawful unless the employer was reimbursing the employees.

You can file a complaint with the state labor board about this practice or retain a local attorney to assist you in recovering the expenses you paid on behalf of the employer.

You will typically need an attorney to address the second issue: the bad reference by the employer. Since the reason you were terminated was due to unlawful conduct by the employer, providing you a bad reference could provide grounds to pursue a claim of defamation or interference with contract relations or other tort claims. I would have the attorney communicate a demand to the employer to retract the statements or face legal action.

Another issue is unemployment benefits. Since you were terminated because of the employer's own wrongdoing, I would apply for unemployment benefit promptly and challenge any allegations made against you by this employer.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate my service when I have answered your questions so I will be compensated for my time assisting you. Thank you!

Tina, Attorney
Experience: JD, 16 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
Expert:  Tina replied 9 months ago.

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-tina/. I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.