LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.

80 employee company. What are our responsibilities for health

Customer Question

80 employee company. What are our responsibilities for health care?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon Jeff,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Starting in 2014, Small businesses with up to 100 full-time employees (50 or fewer in some states) will be able to compare and buy health insurance on the exchanges for their employees. In July of this year however, the mandate was delayed until January 1, 2015. So, you business has a year and 3 months to plan for the implementation of your obligation to the employees.

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

If you have additional questions, you may reply back to me using the Reply to Expert link and I will be happy to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

I wish you the best in your future.

Doug

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

If we don't provide, then there is a tax. How much?

Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

The tax does not begin until 2015.

For companies which don't offer insurance any insurance, have more than 50 employees, and have at least one employee receiving insurance subsidies (through the Obamacare health insurance exchange), they must pay a tax of $2000 per subsidized employee. The tax is applied to all of a firm’s employees (after excluding the first 30), not just those that are subsidized. For example a firm with 51 employees would pay $42,000 in new annual taxes, and an additional $2,000 tax for every new hire.

Companies that do offer insurance, the penalty is $3,000, for every employee not insured who get subsidized coverage from the Obamacare health insurance exchange.

You may reply back to me again if you have additional questions, and I will continue to assist you.

I wish you the best in your future,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney
Experience: I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

for employees not covered, what will the exchange in California charge? My understanding is that people can apply 10/1 for coverage beginning 1/1/14, and with income qualifications, apply for subsidy/reimbursement from the government. Is that accurate? Is there a web site that describes well what I'm stumbling through?

Thank you!

Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Hi Jeff,

You have moved from the employer mandate to personal coverage available to everyone who qualifies and that is a new question that should be placed in a new question thread. However, as an accommodation to you, I will answer it here.

The charge will be based on what state you are in, what coverage you want and what agreement the insurance companies work out with the feds---no one knows the cost yet.

You may ask for me personally by referring to me by name (Doug) in your new question and I will be able to assist you. As the questions that you are posing are new, I am required to ask you to please open up a new question thread for them. Thank you for your understanding.

Please keep in mind that even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

Thanks again.

Have a great day,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.
Good evening Jeff,

I wanted to thank you for using JustAnswer, and to inquire whether my answer to you was helpful to your understanding of the law, as regards XXXXX XXXXX

If there anything else that I can assist you with, please feel free to ask. If you do not require further legal information at this time, please feel free to bookmark my profile so you can request me when you do have another question. Here is a link to my profile: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-lawtalk/

Thank you very much and take care.

Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Jeff. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise. I am generally available at least 6 days a week, and often 7, and it would be my privilege to assist you again in the future.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have, or simply ask for me by name in the first sentence of your new question:
http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-lawtalk/

Thanks again.

Doug

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It would be tremendously appreciated.