Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

Ive been working for my employer since February of this year.

I've been working for my employer since February of this year. She does not provide medical insurance. The insurance coverage i have is for my son and me and is very limited with high deductibles. I am going to ask her to cover my medical insurance, but don't know if i have a recourse if she refuses to pay. Is there employee mandated benefits? She also does not pay holidays or vacation time. Please Advise. Thank you.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Good evening and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question. I will do everything I can to assist you.

Unfortunately, no law presently requires employers of any size to offer health insurance. The Affordable Care Act (aka "Obamacare") will require employers with 50 or more employees to provide healtcare coverage as a requirement of employment, but that law will not take effect until 2015.

Of course, you are still entirely free to request that your employer provide health care coverage, but if they refuse, your options are to accept the current terms of employment or find alternative work.

I realize that the law is not in your favor here and I am truly sorry to have to deliver bad news. Nonetheless, I trust that you will appreciate an accurate explanation of the law and realize that it would be unprofessional of me and unfair to you to provide you with anything less.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes to you and thank you so much for coming to Just Answer.