1) If I use my current LA address as my mailing address and as my residence and then 2 months down the line contact the NY Labour Dept to transfer my paperwork - will my unemployment get disrupted as in CA will stop giving me unemployment and then once NY receives the paperwork and deems me eligible, NY will start paying me unemployment? Or while the papers are being transfered CA will continue to pay my unemployment until NY is ready to take over?
A: Every state has a recipirocal agreement with every other state. There will be no disruption, unless someone screws up -- which happens. But, as I said, this is actually pretty routine for the unemployment departments, especially between large jurisdictions such as CA and NY. So, I would not expect a problem.
2) So basically if I file on my last day of work 9/12 - are you saying that by 9/19 I will receive unemployment from CA?
A: No, you don't get any UI payment for your first week of unemployment. So, you're probably looking at around 9/26 for the first payment.
I am not worried about my company turning on me as I have emails and paper trails stating that they are letting me go because they dont have the budget and nothing to do with my performance. But just incase you advise is sound that I should just keep the money in savings - how long do you suggest I keep it in savings before spending it?
A: 30 days.
As in how long does it take the labour department to figure out if I am eligible or not?
A: You are presumed eligible at the moment you file. EDD will contact you firsts and ask questions. Then, EDD will contact the employer and ask questions. Then the investigator will look for any inconsistencies. If not, then that will end the inquiry, and your case will be approved. If there is a problem, you will be notified that your claim is denied, and you must then file an appeal. That will happen within the same two weeks that you are waiting.
You state to avoid spending for a few weeks . . . does that mean 3-4 weeks or longer?
A: 30 days.
3) You said that EDD will send me a debit card. Does that mean every week when I file unemployment online, they will post mail me a debit card?
A: No. One debit card, that will be reloaded with money each week of your claim.
And what happens when the case gets transfered to NY? Is it the same process in NY where I have to file unemployment every week and they will send me a debit card?
A: I don't know how NY handles claim payment. You'll have to inquire with the NY unemployment office.
Do this debit cards have an expiry date as in do I have to withdraw the cash from the card as soon as I get it or can I keep it for a few weeks (as you suggested I should avoid spending the money) and then withdraw the money once I am certain that I wont have to repay the EDD?
A: I'd withdraw the money -- I just wouldn't spend it right away. There's no expiration date, however.
4) Can a continuing claim be filed online?
What happens when I am back in NY and have asked for NY to get the papers transfered to them from CA - do I still during that waiting period file a continuing claim and will EDD continue to mail me the debit card?
A: Once you apply for the claims transfer, you will file with NY. However, if timing is inconsistent, file the contining claim form with EDD, because the one thing that you do not want to do is not file a continuing claim form -- the system will automatically stop paying if there is no claim form in process.
5) Given that my last day of work is 9/12 - when do you suggest I file my unemployment claim?
Hope this helps.