Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

Can I still collect SDI if I leave my job that is too demanding

Customer Question

Can I still collect SDI if I leave my job that
is too demanding for my health @ 62 yrs.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Good morning and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question. I will do everything I can to assist you.

Yes, you can still collect SDI if you leave due to health problems. Whether or not you voluntarily quit your position has nothing to do with your right to disability benefits. SDI eligiblity is determined by the following criteria:

- You must be unable to do your regular or customary work for at least eight consecutive days.

-You must be employed or actively looking for work at the time you become disabled.

- You must have lost wages because of your disability or, if unemployed, have been actively looking for work.

-You must have earned at least $300 from which State Disability Insurance (SDI) deductions were withheld during a previous period.

- You must be under the care and treatment of a licensed doctor or accredited religious practitioner during the first eight days of your disability. (The beginning date of a claim can be adjusted to meet this requirement.) You must remain under care and treatment to continue receiving benefits.

- You must complete and mail a claim form within 49 days of the date you became disabled or you may lose benefits.

- Your doctor must complete the medical certification of your disability.

http://www.edd.ca.gov/disability/DI_Eligibility.htm

Assuming you satisfy these criteria, the fact you quit your job is irrelevant.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes to you and thank you so much for coming to Just Answer.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

Arlin,

I just wanted to say thank you so much for your positive rating of my service and kind bonus. It was truly my pleasure to be able to assist you. If you have any further questions or concerns regarding the above, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Also, in the next day or so, you may receive a survey from Just Answer asking about your experience with me. I would be tremendously grateful if you'd take a moment to provide high marks, as your opinions are extremely valuable to the site and of course to me as well.

Very best wishes to you.