How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi Joseph, I currently have two ongoing cases against my employer.

Resolved Question:

Hi Joseph,
I currently have two ongoing cases against my employer. One is for Workers' Compensation and one is for Discrimination and Harassment. I do not have a lawyer for Workers' Compensation and I filed an Application for Adjudication after may claim was denied and a couple of weeks later I was notified that based on the QME's report my claim was accepted. In the interim I received notification of a court hearing date for Adjudication. The claims administrator stated that full compensation for my case is to be able to return to my job and to submit a summary of my medical and travel expenses (I never received medical care through them, I had to use my own medical insurance and my co-pay) for my employer's attorneys to determine if I can be reimbursed. She also stated that these lawyers would be at the hearing, so my question is: Should I get a Workers' Comp. attorney to represent me at this hearing as I do not feel that I would be fully compensated by simply returning to work. I was out of work for ten months receiving only EDD benfits so what about my lost wages (EDD pays only a portion of wages) and also I was incurring the expenses of my medical care i. e. doctor visits co-pay, prescription costs and travel expenses. Can I present all this information to the Workers'Comp. Judge to be taken into consideration? Can I request to be able to continue to be treated by my current Doctor and not one that is assigned by the Insurance Company? Please let me know.

Thanks. Irma
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.
Hello Irma,

You can definitely present all this information for the judge to consider.

You can also definitely request to be continued to be seen by your doctor.

However, I want to point out to you that you cannot collect both workers' compensation and disability for the same injury and/or condition. Disability is only for non-job related injuries and workers' compensation is only for on-the-job related injuries. So, if you were to obtain a workers' compensation settlement, the EDD could go after you for the disability that was paid to you.

The claim adjuster is also correct in that you are not meant to receive full compensation for what you earned while on the job. Disability and workers' compensation are meant to be separate recoveries, and if you elect to recover from one, you'd have to give up on the other.

I realize the above information is not what you wanted to hear and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX had better news to give you, but I hope you appreciate an honest and direct answer to your question. It would be unprofessional of me and unfair to you to provide you with anything less.

Please let me know if you have any follow up or clarifying questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get paid for my work.

Thanks and best of luck!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


Thank you for all the information. I am fully aware of the separation between EDD benefits and Workers' Comp. and the fact that EDD will now ask to be reimbursed by Workers' Comp of all monies paid to me. My question was because I lost part of my income due to the FORCED unemployment for exactly TEN months due to the extreme harassment.

The diagnosis on my Medical Evaluation by a QME is INJURY TO PSYCHE. I was just wondering if I have the right to be made whole. Also I was planning to request the right to continue to be treated by my current doctor. Thank you for clarifying that for me. Last, am I allowed to comunicate or contact the Judge in writing prior to the hearing to provide with all the documentation and evidence that I have or will I just be given the opportunity to present it at the time of the court hearing?


Thanks again!

Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.
Hello Irma,

Not everyone is aware of disability and workers' compensation rules, so that was meant for clarification in case you didn't know.

You will have an opportunity to present all your evidence and documentation to the judge at trial.

Workers' compensation could possibly 'make you whole,' but it would be at the expense of your previously received disability benefits.

Otherwise, it seems that the discrimination case is the best one to go with to be made whole since you were forced out of work.
Joseph, Lawyer
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management
Joseph and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • LawTalk



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
< Last | Next >
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
  • Brandon, Esq.'s Avatar

    Brandon, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Has received a certificate of recognition from the California State Senate for his outstanding legal service.
  • melissamesq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Represent clients to maximum recovery in employment cases.
  • /img/opt/shirt.png Attorney2020's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have significant experience in employment law.
  • /img/opt/shirt.png Legal Counsel's Avatar

    Legal Counsel


    Satisfied Customers:

    California Licensed Attorney- 29 years- Wages, Hours, Overtime, Discrimination, Wrongful Termination.

Related California Employment Law Questions