Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

I signed a non-compete agreement, I know they are void in CA

Customer Question

I signed a non-compete agreement, I know they are void in CA but received an e-mail from my former employer asking me to stop working for my new employer and to refer them to him to renew their contract. Should I be worried? Do I reply to his e-mail? thnaks!
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

No, there's nothing to worry about. Your non-compete agreement with your former employer is completely invalid and unenforceable. Your former employer cannot restrict you from working for a new employer, regardless of who that new employer is.

There is no need to reply to his e-mail, but if you do, you should inform him that you are aware of California law governing non-compete agreements and that you know your former employer cannot restrict who you work for after your relationship with them has ended.

See California Business and Professions Code Section 16600:

"Except as provided in this chapter, every contract by which
anyone is restrained from engaging in a lawful profession, trade, or
business of any kind is to that extent void."

(Frankly, I think it is quite unethical for California employers to include such provisions, as they definitely should be aware that these agreements are not enforceable under California law).

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get paid for my work.

Thanks and best of luck!

Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management
Expert:  Joseph replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your positive rating of my service and the generous bonus. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should you have future legal questions.

Please request me directly by placing “to Joseph” at the beginning of your question or you can ask a question directly to me through my URL here:

http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-joepatterson/

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and best of luck,

Joseph