Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

I have been unemployed and my severance was exhausted or completed

Customer Question

I have been unemployed and my severance was exhausted or completed pay out no less than 6 months ago. I have worked consistently for the past 25 years, since the age of 15. The CA EDD/Unemployment office is not giving me UI benefits. I have been told that I do not qualify for Welfare because I am eligible for UI. What recourse or actions are at my disposal to elicit benefit pay-out?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I need a bit more information from you before I can proceed to provide you with a complete and thorough answer to your question.

Have you filed for unemployment benefits with EDD?

If so and you were denied, can you tell me for what reason?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Joseph,

My application for UI was submitted when my severance exhausted, not less than 6 months ago. My application was neither denied nor have I received benefits. I get no conclusive answer when I go to the EDD office as to why it has not been "approved" or "denied" - just that a decision has not been reached and "No, I have not been authorized for benefits".

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Hello Julie,

Honestly, it doesn't make any sense that you wouldn't have heard anything back from EDD at this point since your application was sent in six months ago.

The normal turn around time for applications is a week or two (at most), so you definitely should have received a yes or no response at this time.

In addition to going to the EDD office, you should definitely contact them online using the below site to find out the status of your claim:

https://askedd.edd.ca.gov/asp/frmEDDCOMM.aspx

It seems like it may be necessary for you to file a new claim, since I cannot think of any possible reason why you haven't heard back and aren't receiving unemployment benefits.

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get paid for my work.

Thanks and best of luck!