Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

I took a job in November that had in the job description "up

I took a job in November that had in the job description "up to 50% travel". They took me off that account and now have me doing the job I was doing 10 years ago with 75% travel. I'm not happy with this effective demotion. Can I refuse to travel this much?
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question. I am very sorry to hear about your changed job description.

Unforutnately, unless you are a union member, you are an "at will" employee and as such the terms of your employment are subject to change at any time for just about any reason, regardless of what is fair or reasonable.

While you are of course free to refuse the additional travel, your employer is equally free to replace you with someone who is willing to be away from home if you do.

Since it sounds like you have been with your employer for a pretty long time, you may benefit from politely voicing your concerns about the unfairness of this effective demotion. Employers value long-term employees, and if there is any way they can accomodate your request for less travel, I'd imagine they likely would.

As far as the law is concerned, though, there is simply no basis to compel your employer to require less travel or to refuse and accept to keep your current position. I am very sorry.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes to you and thank you so much for coming to Just Answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I will likely refuse the travel. I don't think they will let me go but if they do I am fine with it.

I am sorry the law is not more favorable to your circumstances. If I can be of any further assistance whatsoever, please do not hestiate to let me know.