How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 10911
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father passed away August 9, 2012. Recently my boss (Im

This answer was rated:

My father passed away August 9, 2012. Recently my boss (I'm pretty much her personal assistant) called me into her office and said "I told Zara (our accounts manager) to pay you the 8 days you took off to handle your father's funeral and affairs... but now that Andrea's in Hungary for her mother's funeral, I really don't want to pay her the same amount of days... it's our policy that I give you only 3 days pay for bereavement." I calmly said, what are you trying to say, Paula, that you want me to pay you back after a year the 5 additional days you gave me? She said "Yes, however we can deduct it out of your paycheck every 2 weeks so it's not a burden for you." HONESTLY - can she do that??? I was so ticked off that I told her if you think I owe you the money then take it all out of my next paycheck - which she did! But REALLY was that legal? I'm STILL bewildered by the whole thing particularly for what I do for her personally beyond my realm of office duties! Yes, it's her own company.

Unhappy emploXXXXX, XXXXX

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your father and your employer's demand that you pay her back for part of your bereavement leave.

Under the circumstances you describe, an employer CANNOT demand repayment. The bereavement pay constituted a "wage earned" in consideration of your employment and contributions to the company. California law zealously protects an employee's right to earned wages and permits forfeiture only in certain extremely limited circumstances as provide by statute.

Your employer cannot force you to give this money back, nor deduct from your wages or retaliate against you in any manner for your refusal to forfeiture wages. Any deduction from your wages to repay your employer would be unlawful and give rise to a wage claim. Likewise, any retaliation against you for refusing to pay this money back would give rise to a claim for damages.

It would be wise to document this controversy in writing so that you have a paper trail in the event you need to tie some subsequent retaliation to these events. An email will suffice, simply stating that you refuse to pay back any portion of the bereavement compensation you received, as that money constituted a wage earned in consideration of your employment and as such may not be forfeited.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes to you and thank you so much for coming to Just Answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm confused - are you going to respond to my second question - did you receive it?

My apologies but I did not receive any other question, just your post above asking me if I am going to respond to another question.

Would you be so kind as to repost whatever you had asked?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No worries... I'm the type of person that is very uncomfortable "owing" anybody anything. What I said to my boss is that I don't wish to have her take "back my wages in increments - just take it out of my next check..." which she DID! Now that I have thought long and hard about the whole matter, I'm really ticked - especially when I opened my paycheck this morning UGH! Can I request her giving me the "wages" back? Thanks!

Thank you so much for your reply.

The fact you consented to repayment in the form of a deduction from your wages weakens your case, as it is much harder to argue "forfeiture."

Now that your employer has your money, you will need to go on the offense rather than defensively protecting your future earnings, which is all that previously would have been required. This means filing a wage claim with the DLSE on the grounds that you were pressured into agreeing to a reduction from your wages. Given the bad blood that may create and the now weakened legal argument you have, that may or may not be worth your effort.

To file a wage claim with the DLSE, visit this link:

Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Satisfied Customers: 10911
Experience: Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Patrick, Esq. and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • LawTalk



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
< Last | Next >
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
  • Brandon, Esq.'s Avatar

    Brandon, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Has received a certificate of recognition from the California State Senate for his outstanding legal service.
  • melissamesq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Represent clients to maximum recovery in employment cases.
  • /img/opt/shirt.png Attorney2020's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have significant experience in employment law.
  • /img/opt/shirt.png Legal Counsel's Avatar

    Legal Counsel


    Satisfied Customers:

    California Licensed Attorney- 29 years- Wages, Hours, Overtime, Discrimination, Wrongful Termination.

Related California Employment Law Questions