Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

we are a subcontractor, there is a non compete clause in a

Customer Question

we are a subcontractor, there is a non compete clause in a contract stating we can not compete with the general contractor for two years with a specific client. The client has approached us to do work because we are a local and mobile company who fits their needs. The general contractor is saying we can not accept the work. Is this legal?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

No, the non-compete that you have is completely invalid and unenforceable in California.

You are free to accept the work and the general contractor would not be able to sue you under a completely invalid contractual provision.

Non-competes are specifically invalid in any employment context, as stated in California Business and Professions Code Section 16600, which states:

"Except as provided in this chapter, every contract by which
anyone is restrained from engaging in a lawful profession, trade, or
business of any kind is to that extent void."

(There are only minor exceptions such as when selling the goodwill of the business, but your agreement with the general contractor does not fit into one of these extremely narrow exceptions).

See here:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=bpc&group=16001-17000&file=16600-16607

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get paid for my work.

Thanks and best of luck!
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what about the packaging company with Disney here in California. the non compete was upheld.

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Hello Tracey,

That definitely wouldn't have been in an employment context, and probably wasn't considered a non-compete. I imagine there was some exclusivity agreement that the company had with Disney. If it were a non-compete, it must have fit into one of the narrow exemptions set out in Business and Professions Code Sections 16601-16607, which yours would denitely not.

If you tell me what case you're referencing, I can look into this for you, but I'm confident that this court case didn't (nor could it have) invalidated California Business and Professions Code 16600 and its prohibition on non-competes in all but extremely limited circumstances (none of them employment or independent contractor related).
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Hello Tracey,

This article outlines the extremely limited instances where a non-compete would be upheld, all of which have to do with sale of business or LLC and the dissolution of a partnership.

http://www.whitecase.com/files/Publication/dcf3d85c-1c1b-4bf5-9806-7a04e2b0e214/Presentation/PublicationAttachment/d734c538-402d-4648-b778-80e6a224b192/article_enforceability.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So as a subcontractor, we are the same as an independent contractor?
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
In this context, yes.

More importantly, this non-compete doesn't relate to the sale of a business or LLC or the dissolution of a partnership, so it doesn't fit into one of the narrow exemptions where it could possibly be upheld in California.
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

Hello Tracey,

Thank you for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should you have future legal questions.

Please request me directly by placing “to Joseph” at the beginning of your question or you can ask a question directly to me through my URL here:

http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-joepatterson/

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and best of luck,

Joseph