Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

Are there any overtime or other wage exemptions for Actors

Are there any overtime or other wage exemptions for Actors working in California?

There are no overtime or other wage exemptions for regular actors working in California.

However, if the actor would be considered professional, then, as long as he or she receives a salary, and meets the other criteria set out in this link, then he or she would be exempt from all overtime regulations:

The Wage Order regulating actors can be found here:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I came across the wage order but was a little bit confused by it. On its surface it appears that it just reiterates the FLSA requirements for exemptions. Are there further specific exemptions within it that I am missing?

So if the employee is a "professional actor" that fits the requirements of a creative professional, does that mean that they are exempt under the FLSA or the CA Wage Order?

Secondly, would the FLSA or the CA Wage Order be the controlling authority?

Both, the FLSA and Wage Order would be controlling. They are also identical so it is inconsequential.
Yes, the exemption is the same under both.

Both the FLSA and the wage order would be controlling. They are also identical in terms of the exemption, os it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok so just recapping,

An "actor" who works on a day to day basis or is paid hourly would still be required to be paid OT for an hours past the requirement. But if it they are professional in the sense that they could be covered as a creative professional and are paid a salary then they would be exempt?

Also, if paying them one flat fee regardless of how many hours they work would this put them in the "salaried" category if it was above the required amount?

Yes, that is correct.

No, paying them a flat fee does not make them salaried, and you could definitely be violating overtime provisions by trying to do that.

They have to receive a salary, not a flat fee. Salary would be a set amount of pay for weeks regardless of work. Flat fees are typically for just days of work and wouldn't qualify.

Hello Meghan,

Thank you for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should you have future legal questions.

Please request me directly by placing “to Joseph” at the beginning of your question or you can ask a question directly to me through my URL here:

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and best of luck,