How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On July 23rd of this year I was hired as a Medication Assistant

This answer was rated:

On July 23rd of this year I was hired as a Medication Assistant for an assisted living facility. At the time I was hired, I was living in Fresno, CA. and relocating to Antioch, CA. to move in with my boyfriend. I had to give my two weeks notice with my employer before I started my job in Antioch. After my two weeks, I began working in Antioch, but when I got to my new job, the person who hired me no longer worked there and they put me in a different position than what I was hired as. I was suppose to be a Medication Assistant making 12 dollars an hour, and full time, but I have been working as a patient care assistant at 10 dollars an hour, and on call. My acceptance letter, that is signed by the manager that hired me, states that I was to be hired as a Medication Assistant along with my rate of pay. Is there anything legally that I can do to get into the position that I was hired for? I've tried to talk to current management, but I am being met with vague answers, and non-committed promises. Any help with my situation would be greatly appreciated.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Unfortunately, an offer letter doesn't constitute an employment contract and you would be considered an at-will employee.

As an at-will employee, your employer can change the terms and conditions of your employment at any time for any reason with or without any prior notice, including changing your title and your rate of pay.

This is due to the employment at-will doctrine, which is codified in California Labor Code Section 2922, and states:

"An employment, having no specified term, may be terminated at
the will of either party on notice to the other. Employment for a
specified term means an employment for a period greater than one

I realize the above information is not what you wanted to hear and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX had better news to give you, but I hope you appreciate an honest and direct answer to your question. It would be unprofessional of me and unfair to you to provide you with anything less.

Please let me know if you have any follow up or clarifying questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get paid for my work.

Thanks and best of luck!
Joseph and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much for your reply. It may not be what I wanted to hear but at least I know where I stand. Thanks again!
Hello Michelle,

Happy to help.

Thanks and best of luck!


Thank you for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should you have future legal questions.

Please request me directly by placing “to Joseph” at the beginning of your question or you can ask a question directly to me through my URL here:

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and best of luck,