Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

Case ended June 11-Motion for summary judgment on a breach

Case ended June 11-Motion for summary judgment on a breach of contract case on statute of limitations. No costs were assessed to Plaintiff in ruling Filed a motion for return of bond last week. Defendant now claims I owe him $340 so I should not have the bond returned, including deposition costs and $200 for a "difficult" case. These were never raised during the case or since the summary judgment ruling. Do costs have to be raised during an active case to be valid (prior to a ruling). Thank you

This is for Connecticut not California

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Thank you for requesting me directly. The following answer pertains to Connecticut law.

No, unfortunately, costs need not be raised during an active case or after a summary judgment ruling to be valid. They do, however, need to be proven and granted by a judge in order to be awarded. (In other words, the Defendant would need some proof of deposition costs. I don't think he'd get $200 for the case being difficult. That doesn't make any sense).

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any follow up or clarifying questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service.

Thanks and best of luck!