LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.

A company is currently in the process of making background

Customer Question

A company is currently in the process of making background checks (for which I've given them signed authorization).

Since I haven't been working for the last 3+ years, I haven't filed a tax return - I know I should still file returns, and I'm getting ready to do those now. I don't owe the IRS any money.

Could missing tax returns show up on a background check to a potential employer? And if so, what do employers do when that shows up?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good evening Jack,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your concerns. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You are safe and in the clear. Whether you filed a tax return or not is not something that shows up on a background check. If you had filed a return, not paid the taxes owed and had a lien placed by the IRS on your property---that would be seen in an employment background.

But the fact that you didn't file a return for several years will not be disclosed in any background check that might be done on you as a CA employment applicant.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

I wish you the best in your future,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney
Experience: I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Jack. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise. I am generally available at least 6 days a week, and often 7, and it would be my privilege to assist you again in the future.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have, or simply ask for me by name in the first sentence of your new question:
http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-lawtalk/

Thanks again.

Doug

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It would be tremendously appreciated.